Aerospace. Systems Engineering. Optics Calibration. Plasma Physics. Laser Acoustics.
For over 25 years, RSI has provided a broad spectrum of experience to our customers in very diverse fields of interest. These projects included:
- Satellite support, including Satellite Mission Development, Concept Definition, Feasibility Studies, Experiment Planning, Flight Operations, Flight Calibration, and Data Analysis.
- Atmospheric Modeling with Modtran6, optical design and stray light analysis using Zemax, instrument control using Python, IDL, Labview, or VB.net.
- Field tests including high altitude balloon, small aircraft, and airship imaging experiments.
- Instrument design including multi-spectral, hyper-spectral, UV Spectrometers, Laser Rangefinders, Differential Absorption Lidar (DIAL) systems, Frequency agile chemical sensing, imaging receiver - wing platform (AF), NASA Fire sensor.
- Bio-agent standoff Lidar, Quantum, Cascade DIAL for chemical detection, Raman Spectroscopy, Custom Optic design, Very fast IR lenses (F<1), Cryogenic operation, and Imaging Technology Development –RIT LAVA CMOS Arrays.
- Instrument Testing & Calibration, including Radiometric Testing, Optical Alignment, and NIST traceable Sensor Calibration.
- Advanced Image Processing including: multi-frame processing, blind deconvolution, image registration, video stabilization, and multi-spectral processing.
- Space Propulsion, including Microwave Electrothermal (MET) Thruster, Nanopropulsion, and Compact Fusion.
- Microtechnologies: the MASS noise-cancelling microspeaker array, the EMP fiber-optic pressure sensor for hypersonic flight, microscale magnetic structures for actuators and charged particle optics, the MIRROR micro-retroreflector array for marking and communications, electron beam windows, the M2-EMS compact energy-mass spectrograph for charged particle detection in orbit as well as gas sensing on the ground, and enhanced carbon nanotubes for filtration.
- Plasma technologies: the MET microwave electric thruster for spacecraft, a system for microwave augmentation of supersonic combustors, a microwave plasma aerodynamic control system, the MIRAGE ionosphere modification system, the CMTX magnetized target fusion plasma source, the Rotational-Vibrational Spectral Analysis System for plasma monitoring, and plasma polishing of inorganics to improve mechanical performance.
- Microfabrication capabilities: High aspect and suspended microstructures including magnets, actuators, optics and sensors. Standard metallization, photolithography, and etching.
- Laser-based Acoustic Detection for measurement of acoustic fields and non-destructive measurement of materials.
- Plasma research capabilities: Microwave plasma generation; plasma diagnostics including interferometry, probes, and spectroscopy; electric propulsion thrust measurements, pulsed power techniques, vacuum technology.
Contact an RSI employee for more information about these capabilities.