RSI's diversity of expertise is demonstrated by our publications.
- Lebair, William, C. Rollins, J.F. Kline, M. Todirita, and J. Kronenwetter. "Post launch calibration and testing of the Advanced Baseline Imager on the GOES-R satellite." In SPIE Asia-Pacific Remote Sensing, pp. 98810K-98810K. International Society for Optics and Photonics, 2016.
- Gregory DiComo, Michael Helle, Joe Peñano, Antonio Ting, Andreas Schmitt-Sody, and Jennifer Elle, "Implementation of a long range, distributed-volume, continuously variable turbulence generator," Appl. Opt. 55, 5192-5197 (2016) pdf
- B. Hafizi, J. P. Palastro, J. R. Peñano, T. G. Jones, L. A. Johnson, M. H. Helle, D. Kaganovich, Y.-H. Chen, and A. B. Stamm, “Stimulated Raman and Brillouin scattering, nonlinear focusing, thermal blooming, and optical breakdown of a laser beam propagating in water,” J. Opt. Soc. Am. B 33, 2062 (2016). pdf
- J.N. Caron. "Focused ultrasound sensing in water using a GCLAD system," the 5th International Symposium on Laser-Ultrasonics and Advanced Sensing, July 4-8, 2016, in Linz Austria.
- Palastro, J. P., J. Penano, W. Nelson, G. DiComo, L. A. Johnson, M. H. Helle, and B. Hafizi. "Reciprocity breaking during nonlinear propagation of adapted beams through random media." arXiv preprint arXiv:1603.07146 (2016). pdf
- Y.-H. Chen, M. H. Helle, A. Ting, D. F. Gordon, N. P. Dover, O. Ettlinger, Z. Najmudin, M. N. Polyanskiy, I. Pogorelsky, M. Babzien, “Laser acceleration of protons with an optically shaped, near-critical hydrogen gas target,” 17th Advanced Accelerator Concepts Workshop, National Harbor, August 2, 2016.
- J. L. Johnson, K. van Wijk, J. N. Caron, and M. Timmerman,. "Gas-coupled laser acoustic detection as a non-contact line detector for photoacoustic and ultrasound imaging." Journal of Optics 18, no. 2 (2016): 024005. pdf
- J.N. Caron, Marcos J. Montes, and Jerome L. Obermark. "Extracting flat-field images from scene-based image sequences using phase correlation." Review of Scientific Instruments 87, no. 6 (2016): 063710. pdf
- I.V. Pogorelsky, M. Babzien, I. Ben-Zvi, M.N. Polyanskiy, J. Skaritka, O. Tresca, N.P. Dover, Z. Najmudin, W. Lu, N. Cook, A. Ting, Y.-H. Chen, “Extending laser plasma accelerators into the mid-IR spectral domain with a next-generation ultra-fast CO2 laser,” Plasma Phys. Control. Fusion 58, 034003 (2016).
- J.N. Caron, "Immersion Detection of Ultrasound using a GCLAD system," Laser Ultrasonics Symposium, Evanston, Illinois, USA, June 29, 2015.
- Jones, Theodore G., Michael Helle, Dmitri Kaganovich, Antonio Ting, Michael Nicholas, David Calvo, Gregory DiComo, and James Caron. "Underwater laser acoustic source control using shaped plasmas." The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 137, no. 4 (2015): 2200-2200.
- Y.-H. Chen, M. H. Helle, A. Ting, D. F. Gordon, M. N. Polyanskiy, I. Pogorelsky, M. Babzien, and Z. Najmudin, “Observation of monoenergetic protons from a near-critical gas target tailored by a hydrodynamic shock,” Proc. SPIE 9514, Laser Acceleration of Electrons, Protons, and Ions III; and Medical Applications of Laser-Generated Beams of Particles III, 95140C (May 14, 2015). pdf
- J.N. Caron, "Atypical Applications for Gas-coupled Laser Acoustic Detection," presented on June 25, 2013, at the 3rd International Symposium on Laser Ultrasonics and Advanced Sensing, Tokahoma, Japan.
- D. Simonson et al, ,"Organic and Ceramic Polymers as Hosts for NLO Nanoparticles in CDEW Composites", Seventeenth Annual Directed Energy Symposium 2-5 March 2015 Anaheim, California.
- J.N. Caron and G.P. DiComo, "Frequency Response of Optical Beam Deflection by Ultrasound in Water," Applied Optics, 53(32), 7677-7683 (2014). pdf
- M. H. Helle, D. F. Gordon, D. Kaganovich, Y.-H. Chen, and A. Ting, “Laser accelerated ions from near critical gaseous targets,” Proc. SPIE 9514, Laser Acceleration of Electrons, Protons, and Ions III; and Medical Applications of Laser-Generated Beams of Particles III, 951409 (May 14, 2015).
- Manheimer, Wallace. "Fusion Breeding for Mid-Century Sustainable Power." Journal of Fusion Energy 33, no. 3 (2014): 199-234. pdf
- Yu-hsin Chen, David Alessi, Derrek Drachenberg, Bradley Pollock, Felicie Albert, Joseph Ralph, and Constantin Haefner, "Increasing Laser Contrast by Relativistic Self-Guiding and its Application to Laser-Based Proton Acceleration," presented at CLEO, 2014, in San Jose.
- J.N. Caron and P. Kunapareddy, "Application of Gas-coupled Laser Acoustic Detection to Gelatins and Underwater Sensing," Review of Progress in Quantitative Nondestructive Evaluation, ed. by D.O. Thompson and D.E. Chimenti, AIP, Vol. 32, 2013.
- J.N. Caron and P Kunapareddy, "Atypical Applications for Gas-coupled Laser Acoustic Detection," presented on June 25, 2013, at the 3rd International Symposium on Laser Ultrasonics and Advanced Sensing, Tokahoma, Japan.
- Manheimer, Wallace. "The velocity dependent Krook model to calculate energetic electron transport in a laser produced plasma." Laser and Particle Beams (2013): 1-10.
- Busquet, M. "Pressure Ionization in Partition Function Algebra." High Energy Density Physics (2013).
- Nikitin, Sergei P., Sharka Prokes, Hua Qi, Orest Glembocki, and Jacob Grun. "Multi-wavelength Surface-Enhanced Raman Scattering from Molecules Adsorbed on Plasmonic Nanowires." In Quantum Electronics and Laser Science Conference. Optical Society of America, 2012. pdf
- Namazi, Nader M., William J. Scharpf, Jerome Obermark, and James N. Caron. "Global registration and stabilization of jittered and noisy airborne image sequences." In IS&T/SPIE Electronic Imaging, pp. 82950J-82950J. International Society for Optics and Photonics, 2012.
- Kunapareddy, Nagapratima, Danil Dobrynin, Gary Friedman, Alexander A. Fridman, Gregory Fridman, and Jacob Grun. "Evaluation of Dielectric Barrier Discharge Sterilization of Escherichia coli with a Swept-Wavelength Resonance-Raman Device." Plasma Medicine 1, no. 3-4 (2011).
- J.N. Caron, G.P. DiComo, A. C. Ting, and R. P. Fischer, "Application of a scattered-light radiometric power meter," Review of Scientific Instruments 82, 043101 (2011). pdf
- Miles, Ronald W., Melissa S. Hulet, Barry R. Williams, Rex K. Miyashiro, and William J. Marinelli. Evaluation of the AIRIS Standoff Hyperspectral Imaging System. No. ECBC-TR-845. ARMY EDGEWOOD CHEMICAL BIOLOGICAL CENTER APG MD RESEARCH AND TECHNOLOGY DIR, 2011.
- Phillips, Lee, James Weaver, J. Oh, A. J. Schmitt, S. Obenschain, and A. Velikovich. "Predictions and Observations of Two-Plasmon Decay on the NIKE Laser System." Bulletin of the American Physical Society 56 (2011).
- Sullivan, D. J., J. F. Kline, M. Salamon, S. Zaidi, and R. Miles. "Optically interrogated, microfabricated wall shear stress sensor." In Sensors, 2011 IEEE, pp. 97-100. IEEE, 2011.
- Manka, C. K., Sergei Nikitin, Robert Lunsford, P. Kunapareddy, and J. Grun. "Wavelength‐dependent amplitude of Teflon Raman lines." Journal of Raman Spectroscopy 42, no. 4 (2011): 685-690.
- Bremer, James C. "On-board calibration of the spectral response functions of the Advanced Baseline Imager's thermal IR channels by observation of the planet Mercury." In SPIE Optical Engineering+ Applications, pp. 78070M-78070M. International Society for Optics and Photonics, 2010.
- Namazi, Nader M., William Scharpf, Jay Obermark, and James N. Caron. "Use of the EM algorithm in image registration in a scene captured by a moving camera." In SPIE Optical Engineering Applications, pp. 77982I-77982I. International Society for Optics and Photonics, 2010.
- Oh, Jaechul, J. L. Weaver, L. Phillips, S. P. Obenschain, A. J. Schmitt, D. M. Kehne, L. Y. Chan, and V. Serlin. "Characterization of Electron Temperature and Density Profiles of Plasmas Produced by Nike KrF Laser for Laser Plasma Instability (LPI) Research." Bulletin of the American Physical Society 56 (2011).
- Sullivan, Daniel J., John F. Kline, and Maria Salamon. "MEMS fabricated optical sensor for measurement of skin friction." In Energytech, 2011 IEEE, pp. 1-6. IEEE, 2011.
- Oh, Jaechul, J. L. Weaver, L. Phillips, S. P. Obenschain, A. J. Schmitt, D. M. Kehne, V. Serlin, R. H. Lehmberg, E. A. McLean, and C. K. Manka. "Measurement of Laser Plasma Instability (LPI) Driven Light Scattering from Plasmas Produced by Nike KrF Laser." Bulletin of the American Physical Society 55 (2010).
- Namazi, Nader M., Jerome Obermark, and James N. Caron. "Global registration and moving objects detection in noisy airborne image sequences." Optical Engineering 49, no. 12 (2010): 127005-127005.
- Manka, Charles, Robert Lunsford, Sergei Nikitin, and Nagapratima Kunapareddy. "Raman Response of Acetonitrile and Cyclohexane in the Deep Ultra-Violet." Bulletin of the American Physical Society 55 (2010).
- Grun, Jacob, Jeffrey Bowles, David Gillis, Pratima Kunapareddy, Robert Lunsford, Charles K. Manka, Sergei Nikitin, and Zheng Wang. "Tunable multi-wavelength resonance-Raman detection of bacteria and chemicals in complex environments." In SPIE Defense, Security, and Sensing, pp. 768706-768706. International Society for Optics and Photonics, 2010.
- Gillis, David, Jacob Grun, Jeffrey Bowles, Robert Lunsford, Sergei Nikitin, and Charles Manka. "Detection of chemicals in mixed, two-dimensional Raman spectra." In SPIE Defense, Security, and Sensing, pp. 76651D-76651D. International Society for Optics and Photonics, 2010.
- Oh, J., J. L. Weaver, D. M. Kehne, L. S. Phillips, S. P. Obenschain, V. Serlin, E. A. McLean, R. H. Lehmberg, and C. K. Manka. "Laser Plasma Instability (LPI) Driven Light Scattering Measurements with 44 beam-lines of Nike KrF Laser." Bulletin of the American Physical Society 54 (2009).
- Namazi, Nader M., William Scharpf, James N. Caron, Michael Fatemi, David M. Huber, and Jay Obermark. "Image motion detection in a scene captured by a moving camera." In SPIE Optical Engineering+ Applications, pp. 744324-744324. International Society for Optics and Photonics, 2009.
- Weaver, J. L., J. Oh, B. Afeyan, L. Phillips, J. Seely, D. Kehne, C. Brown et al. "Updated LPI Thresholds for the Nike Laser*." Bulletin of the American Physical Society 54 (2009).
- J.N. Caron, "Displacement and Deflection Sensitivity of Gas-coupled Laser Acoustic Detection," 1st International Conference on Laser Ultrasonics, 2008.
- P. Blake, F. MIller, T. Zukowski, E Canavan, A. Crane, T. Madison, D. Miller, "Cryogenic system for interferometric measurement of dimensional changes at 40 K: design and performance", Proceedings of the SPIE, Volume 6692, pp. 669207 (2007).
- W.E. Vanderlinde and J.N. Caron, "Blind Deconvolution of SEM Images," Proceedings of the 33rd International Symposium for Testing and Failure Analysis, November, 2007, p. 97-102.
- Jacob Grun, Charles K. Manka, Sergei Nikitin, Daniel Zabetakis, Gelu Comanescu, David Gillis, and Jeffrey Bowles, " Identification of Bacteria from Two-Dimensional Resonant-Raman Spectra," Analytic Chemistry, ASAP Article 10.1021/ac070681h S0003-2700(07)00681-6, 2007
- N. Namazi, R. Burris, Jr., and G. C. Gilbreath, "Analytical approach to the calculation of probability of bit error and optimum thresholds in free-space optical communication," Optical Engineering, Volume 46, Issue 2, 025007, (2007).
- J.N. Caron, D.M. Huber, V. DiPietro, and C.J. Rollins, "Progress towards a portable laser-based ultrasound sensor using gas-coupled laser acoustic detection," Review of Progress in Quantitative Nondestructive Evaluation , ed. by D.O. Thompson and D.E. Chimenti, AIP, Vol. 24A, 2005.
- M. F. Stell, C. I. Moore, H. R. Burris, M. R. Suite, M. J. Vilcheck, M. A. Davis, R. Mahon, E. Oh, W. S. Rabinovich, G. C. Gilbreath, W. J. Scharpf, and A. E. Reed, ``Passive optical monitor for atmospheric turbulence and windspeed,'' Proceedings of SPIE, Free-Space Laser Communication and Active Laser Illumination III, Vol. 5160, p. 422, (2004).
- J. Sullivan, G.F. Hartig, M. Martella, J. Seerveld, J.A. Turner-Valle, K.I. MacFeely, S. Willis, L. Seide, G. Moore, and G. Young, “Wide Field Camera 3 optical bench integration, alignment, and test,” Proc. SPIE, 5487, (2004).
- J.N. Caron, "Progress towards a portable laser-based ultrasound sensor using gas-coupled laser acoustic detection," Review of Progress in Quantitative Nondestructive Evaluation , Vol. 24, 2004.
- M. T. Boies, B. D. Green, G. E. Galica, O. M. Uy, R. C. Benson, D. M. Silver, B. E. Wood, J. C. Lesho, D. F. Hall, and J. S. Dyer, “The 8-year report on MSX thermal blanket outgassing: an inexhaustible reservoir,” Proc. SPIE, Vol. 5526A, Denver, CO, August 2004.
- J.N. Caron, "Blind deconvolution of audio-frequency signals using the self-deconvolving data restoration algorithm," Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, Vol. 116, Issue 1, pp. 373-378, 2004.
- F. Tasker, D.M. Huber, B. Plourde, L. Palecki, E. Sydow, and A. Reed, “Analysis and Experiments on a Sparse-Aperture Test-bed Metrology and Control System”, IEEE Aerospace Conference, Paper # 1282, 2003.
- B. McAndrew, J. Kline, and R. Miles, "Aerodynamic Control of a Symmetric Cone in Compressible Flow Using Heat Addition," 41st AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, 2003.
- Zaidi, S., R. Murray, M. Shneider, S. Macheret, R. Miles, and J. Kline. 2003. Nonequilibrium Ionization Techniques for MHD Power Extraction in High-Speed Flows. 41st AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit.
- C. J. Rollins, P.E. Nebolsine, N. Humer, AND L.J. RIikard, “Enhancement Of Sparse Aperture Imaging Through Multi-Wavelength Synthesis,” Astronomical Telescopes and Instrumentation (SPIE Conference No. 4849), ed. R. J. Sedwick, S. A. Schweighart (SPIE, Bellingham) p. 124, 2002.
- J.N. Caron, Y. Yang, J.B. Mehl and K.V. Steiner, "Overview: Ultrasound sensing using Gas-coupled Laser Acoustic Detection," Nondestructive Testing and Evaluation, Vol. 17, 2002, p. 169.
- J. Bremer, S. Etemad, B. Zukowski, B. Pasquale, T. Zukowski, R. Prince, V. Holmes, J. Ryskewich, P. O'Niell, J. Murphy-Morris, "Improved wide-field collimator for dynamic testing of the GOES imager and sounder", Proceedings of the SPIE, Volume 4814, pp. 194-200 (2002).
- C. I. Moore, H. R. Burris, M. R. Suite, M. F. Stell, M. J. Vilcheck, M. A. Davis, R. Smith, R. Mahon, W. S. Rabinovich, J. P. Koplow, S. W. Moore, W. J. Scharpf, and A. E. Reed, "Free-space high-speed laser communication link across the Chesapeake Bay,'' Proceedings of SPIE, Free-Space Laser Communication and Laser Imaging II, Vol. 4821, p. 474, (2002).
- B. McAndrew, J. Kline, J. Fox, D. Sullivan, and R. Miles, "Supersonic vehicle control by microwave plasma discharges," AIAA 2002-0354, 2002.
- J.N. Caron, N.M. Namazi, and C.J. Rollins, "Noniterative blind data restoration by use of an extracted filter function," Applied Optics, November 10, 2002, Vol 41, No. 32, p. 6884. pdf
- J. Clem, W. Droege, P.A. Evenson, H. Fischer, G. Green, D. Huber, H. Kunow, and D. Seckel, ``A Measurement of the Flux of Cosmic Ray Iron at 5 X 1013 eV'', Astroparticle Physics, Vol. 16, No. 4, p. 387, 2002.
- J.N. Caron, Y. Yang, J.B. Mehl and K.V. Steiner, "Gas-coupled laser acoustic detection for Ultrasound Inspection of Composite Materials," Materials Evaluation, 2001.
- Kline, J., J.R. Fox, V. DiPietro, and J. Brandenburg. A Review of the Compact Micro-Torus eXperiment. 4th Symposium on the Current Trends in International Fusion Research: A Review. Washington, D.C. 2001.
- J.N. Caron, N.M. Namazi, R.L. Lucke, C.J. Rollins, and P.R. Lynn, Jr., "Blind data restoration with an extracted filter function," Optics Letters, August 1, 2001, Vol 26, No.15, p. 1164.
- M. T. Boies, C. M. Gittins, B. D. Green, W. J. Marinelli, P. A. Mulhall, T. Nakamura, P. Ponsardin, D. Richter, H. Tai and M. Tamura, “Ground-Mobile LIDAR for the Detection of Leaks from Natural Gas Pipelines” Proc. SPIE, Vol. 4574, Boston, MA, November 2001.
- Kline, J., R. Murray, and R. Miles. 2000. Microwave Plasma-Electron Beam Interactions for Hypersonic Flow Control. 27th IEEE International Conference on Plasma Science.
- J.N. Caron, "Multiple-beam detection using Gas-coupled Laser Acoustic Detection," Review of Progress in Quantitative Nondestructive Evaluation, vol 20, 2000.
- John F. Kline, Jon R. Fox, Vincent DiPietro, John Vandenburg, Characterization of the Compact Micro Torus eXperiment. The 27th IEEE International Conference on Plasma Science. New Orleans, LA. June 6, 2000.
- J. M. Clem, P. Evenson, D. Huber, R. Pyle, C. Lopate, and J. A. Simpson, ``Charge sign dependence of cosmic ray modulation near a rigidity of 1 GV,'' Journal of Geophys. Res., p. 22938, 2000.
- M. T. Boies, B. D. Green, G. E. Galica, O. M. Uy, D. M. Silver, R. C. Benson, B. E. Wood, D. F. Hall, and J. S. Dyer, “Measurement of long-term outgassing from the materials used on the MSX spacecraft,” Proc. SPIE, Vol. 4096, San Diego, CA, August 2000.
- J. Fisher, J. Antoniades, C. Rollins, and L. Xiang: “A hyperspectral imaging sensor for the coastal environment” in International Optical Design Conference, Proc. SPIE 3842, pp. 179-186 (1998).
- M. T. Boies, B. D. Green, G. E. Galica, O. M. Uy, D. M. Silver, R. C. Benson, J. C. Lesho, B. E. Wood, D. F. Hall, and J. S. Dyer, “Ambient pressure environment surrounding the MSX spacecraft during the first year on orbit,” Proc. SPIE, 3427A (1998).
- J. R. Fox, I.A. Akimov, X.X. Xi, and A. A. Sirenko. "In situ studies of electronic and vibrational properties of Si nanoparticles." In L.T. Canham, et al. , editors, Advances in Microcrystalline and Nanocrystalline Semiconductors, volume 536, page 287. Materials Research Society, 1998.
- Sprague, J., J. Grun, R. Burris, J. Kline, K. Lewis, M. Corbett, R. Blacker, G. Gurtman, M. Rice, and R. Wilson. 1998. In-Situ Optical Techniques for the Real-Time Characterization of Laser Damage Processes. AFRL Laser Hardened Materials Program Review.
- J. Grun, C. K. Manka, C. A. Hoffman, J. R. Meyer, O. J. Glembocki, R. Kaplan, S. B. Qadri, E. F. Skelton, D. Donnelly and B. Covington, "Athermal Annealing of Silicon," Phys. Rev. Lett. 78, 1584 - 1587 (1997)
- Gilbreath, C.G., W. S. Rabinovich, R. Mahon, M.R. Corson, M. Ferraro, D.S. Katzer, K. Ikossi-Anastasiou, T. Meehan, and J.F. Kline. 1997. Modulating Retroreflector Architecture Using Multiple Quantum Wells for Free Space Optical Communications. SPIE 3491: 581-6.
- M. T. Boies, T. E. Phillips, R. E. Erlandson, D. M. Silver, R. C. Benson, J. C. Lesho, O. M. Uy, B. D. Green, G. E. Galica, J. S. Dyer, B. E. Wood, D. F. Hall, “Effect of the polar auroral regions on the Midcourse Space Experiment cold cathode pressure sensor,” Proc. SPIE, 3124 (1997).
- Manka, C.K. and J. Kline. 1996. Fast Fiber Optic Pressure Sensors. ISA Blast and Shock Symposium.
- M. T. Boies and T. D. Cole, “Design, development, and flight qualification of the optical receiver for the NEAR laser rangefinder,” Proc. SPIE, 2748 (1996).
- J. R. Fox, G. P. Lopinski, and J. S. Lannin, G. B. Adams, J. B. Page, and J. E. Fischer. Neutron diffraction and structural models of RbC60 phases. Chem. Phys. Lett., 249(3):195, 1996.
- M. T. Boies, T. D. Cole, A. S. Eldinary, and R. A. Reiter, “Optical system development and performance testing of the NEAR laser rangefinder,” Proc. SPIE, 2811 (1996).
- M. T. Boies, T. E. Phillips, D. M. Silver, A. S. El-Dinary, O. M. Uy, J. S. Dyer, and J. D. Mill, “Total pressure sensor results from the early operations phase of the MSX Mission,” Proc. SPIE, 2864 (1996).
- M.R. Corson and C.J. Rollins, “Report on the Applicability of Clementine Technologies to NOAA Missions,” Appendix 3 in Small Satellites and NOAA: A Technology Study, Glen H. Fountain, Study Leader, Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory, June 9. 1995.
- Nozette, C.J. Rollins, et. al, ``The Clementine Mission to the Moon: Scientific Overview,'' Science, Vol. 266, December, 1994.
- R. C. Elton, D.-M. Billings, C. K. Manka, H. R. Griem, J. Grun, B. H. Ripin, and J. Resnick, "Spectroscopic diagnostics in a colliding-blast-wave experiment," Phys. Rev. E 49, 1512 (1994)
- C.J. Rollins, M.R. Corson, J.H. Resnick, J. Ivory, I. Lewis, W. Collins, and T. Smathers, ``Alignment, Calibration, and Integration of the Clementine Imaging Cameras,'' AIAA/USU Conference on Small Satellites, 1994.
- M. Chou, T. Zukowski, “Ignition of H2/O2/NH3, H2/Air/NH3, and CH4/O2/NH3 Mixtures by Excimer Laser Photolysis of NH3”, Combustion and Flame 87 (2): 191-202, 1991.
- G. Weyl, C.J. Rollins, M. Gauthier, and C. Goldey, ``Ignition and Maintenance of Laser Supported Detonation Waves,'' PSI-SR-410 (Sept. 1989), AIAA Journal.
- A. Bailey, N. Humer, E. Pugh, C.J. Rollins, and L. Popper, ``Modeling of Material Response to Repetitive Pulse Lasers,'' PSI SR-421 (April 1989), AIAA-89-1910, \AIAA 20th Fluid Dynamics, Plasma Dynamics, and Lasers Conference, Buffalo NY, June 1989.
- J. Grun, M. E. Emery, C. K. Manka, T. N. Lee, E. A. McLean, A. Mostovych, J. Stamper, S. Bodner, S. P. Obenschain, and B. H. Ripin, "Rayleigh-Taylor instability growth rates in targets accelerated with a laser beam smoothed by induced spatial incoherence," Phys. Rev. Lett. 58, 2672 (1987).
- G. Indebetuow, T. Zukowski, “Nonlinear Optical Effects in Absorbing Fluids: Some Undergraduate Experiments”, Eur. J. of Phys, 5, 1984.
United States Patent 8,210,045 (via Quarktet, Silver Spring)
Continuous laser generation of ultrasound
Abstract: A new invention for the laser-based generation of ultrasound is described. In conventional laser-based ultrasound, a pulse of light is incident on a solid. The light is converted to heat expanding the material near the surface. This thermoelastic expansion creates an acoustic wave in the material. Detection of the ultrasound allows the nondestructive inspection of the material. The rate of performing an ultrasound scan is inherently limited by the pulse rate of the laser. In this invention, a continuous wave (cw) high-power laser sweeps across the material, using thermoelastic expansion to create an ultrasound wavefront on the surface of and in the material. Detection of the ultrasound wavefront provides evidence of the strength of the material and the presence of defects. With Continuous Laser Generation of Ultrasound, material analysts will be able to perform ultrasound scans potentially hundreds of times faster than the current methods.
Inventors: James N Caron (Silver Spring, MD)
Assignee: James N Caron (Silver Spring, MD)
United States Patent 6,441,552 and 6,838,831
Apparatus and methods for generating persistent ionization plasmas
Abstract: A persistent ionization plasma generator is described that forms a plasma in a cavity that persists for a time after termination of the exciting RF electric field. The plasma generator includes a RF cavity that is in fluid communication with a source of ionizing gas. The RF cavity can be at substantially atmospheric pressure. An RF power source that generates an RF electric field is electromagetically coupled to the RF cavity. An ultraviolet light source is positioned in optical communication to the cavity. An antenna is positioned within the cavity adjacent to the ultraviolet light source. A chamber for confining the plasma can be positioned in the cavity around the antenna.
Inventors: Brandenburg; John E. (Springfield, VA), Kline; John F. (Hopewell, NJ), Resnick; Joshua H. (Annandale, VA)
Assignee: Physical Sciences Inc. (Andover, MA)
United States Patent 6,001,715
Non-thermal process for annealing crystalline materials
Abstract: Bulk crystalline materials are annealed by introducing into them mechanical energy of sufficient intensity to create a large amplitude sound wave. The mechanical energy may be introduced into the material, for example, by laser ablation. Where the bulk crystalline material is a doped semiconductor, the process also electrically activates the material.
Inventors: Manka; Charles Keith (Alexandria, VA), Grun; Jacob (Silver Spring, MD), Covington; Billy Charles (Huntsville, TX), Donnelly; David William (Huntsville, TX)
Assignee: The United States of America as represented by the Secretary of the Navy.
United States Patent 6,041,020 (via Quarktet, Silver Spring)
Gas-coupled laser acoustic detection
Abstract: The investigation, development and application of a laser-based ultrasonic inspection system to the problems of evaluating polymer/graphite composite materials has been realized. The use of lasers to generate and detect ultrasonic waveforms in materials provides a means to detect material properties remotely. The study consisted of three main aspects: 1) A confocal Fabry-Perot (CFP) based system has been devolved which uses light reflected from the CFP interferometer to derive the ultrasonic signal. This allows higher frequency components of the detected waveforms to be discerned when compared to a CFP-based system using light transmitted through the CFP interferometer. 2) Thermoelastic and ablative laser generation of acoustic pulses in polymer/graphite composite materials has been investigated. Thermoelastic generation of ultrasound occurs when thermal energy deposited by a pulsed laser creates a localized expansion in the material. Ablative generation of ultrasound results from the creation of a plasma above the surface when the laser pulse surpasses an intensity threshold. 3) A novel technique, designated Gas-Coupled Laser Acoustic Detection (GCLAD), has been realized, in which the ultrasonic wave is detected optically after it has been transmitted from sample to air. This technique has the advantage of being independent of surface reflectivity and optical smoothness, and has comparable sensitivity to the CFP-based system.
Inventors: Caron; James N. (Silver Spring, MD), Mehl; James B. (Orcas, WA), Steiner; Karl V. (Newark, DE)
Assignee: James N. Caron
United States Patent 6,859,564 (via Quarktet, Silver Spring)
Signal processing using the self-deconvolving data reconstruction algorithm
Abstract: A signal processing algorithm has been developed in which a filter function is extracted from degraded data through mathematical operations. The filter function can then be used to restore much of the degraded content of the data through use of any deconvolution algorithm. This process can be performed without prior knowledge of the detection system, a technique known as blind deconvolution. The extraction process, designated Self-deconvolving Data Reconstruction Algorithm (SeDDaRA), has been used successfully to restore digitized photographs, digitized acoustic waveforms, and other forms of data. The process is non-iterative, computationally efficient, and requires little user input. Implementation is straight-forward, allowing inclusion into all types of signal processing software and hardware. The novelty of the invention is the application of a power law and smoothing function to the degraded data in frequency space. Two methods for determining the value of the power law are discussed. The first method is by educated guess where the value is deemed a constant of frequency that ranges between zero and one. This approach requires no knowledge of the original data or the degradation and is quite effective. The second method compares the frequency spectrum of the degraded data to the spectrum of a signal with the desired frequency response. This approach produces a superior result, but requires additional processing.
Inventors: Caron; James Norbert (Silver Spring, MD)
Assignee: Caron; James N. (Silver Spring, MD)